Turkish prosecutor says Jamal Khashoggi strangled, dismembered

Share

Istanbul's chief prosecutor says Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi was strangled and his body "cut in pieces" in a premeditated killing immediately upon entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul.

Mr Fidan said a meeting with his Saudi counterpart on Monday yielded "no concrete results".

The 59-year-old's body "was dismembered and destroyed following his death", according to a report from Irfan Fidan's office.

The regional powerhouse eventually admitted that Khashoggi had died inside the consulate, not in a "fistfight" after leaving the building, and only last week acknowledged a premeditated killing.

Muslim groups raise money for victims after Pittsburgh synagogue shooting
The groups have partnered with the Islamic Center of Pittsburgh in order to disburse the funds once the fundraiser ends. Brothers Cecil, 59, (right) and David (left) Rosenthal 54, were both disabled and volunteered at the synagogue.

Turkey has been pushing Saudi Arabia to help locate Khashoggi's body, which has not been found. The release of gruesome details of the killing by anonymous Turkish officials appears created to pressure Saudi Arabia into complying with Turkey's demands and efforts at managing the crisis.

After releasing the results of its initial investigations, the Saudi Public Prosecution announced that 18 people were arrested over their alleged connections to the killing.

A critic of the Saudi royal family, Khashoggi had been living in exile in the United States.

Turkey says. the Saudi journalist who was murdered in Istanbul was immediately strangled as he entered the Saudi consulate.

Japan’s Shinzo Abe To Meet With China’s Xi Jinping
RCEP is a free-trade agreement proposed by China with South-East Asia and various countries on the Pacific Rim, including Japan. Abe realises that Japan's future economic prosperity requires increased trade with China, now Japan's largest trading partner.

Riyadh's European allies have criticised its initial response and US President Donald Trump said Saudi authorities had staged the "worst cover-up ever", although he has repeatedly said he would not jeopardise US business with the kingdom.

It would also project Saudi Arabia as a rogue state and call into question U.S. and Saudi allegations that Iran is the Middle East's main state supporter of terrorism.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday that the Saudis were protecting the person responsible for Khashoggi's murder, adding that Turkey would not abandon its investigation.

Under mounting global pressure, the kingdom again changed its narrative about Mr Khashoggi's killing, acknowledging in recent days that it was "premeditated", citing information from Turkey as part of a joint investigation.

Cancer survivor shares story to encourage others
Sonia and her doctors are hoping that making it a public affair can raise awareness and encourage many to get a check up. Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in women with more than 1.7 million new cases recorded every year.

The Saudi prosecutor, who visited the consulate and met with Turkish officials, also reiterated his country's rejection of Turkey's demand to extradite Saudi nationals involved in the murder, the Hurriyet newspaper reported.

Share